They don’t look much different to a normal collection vehicle but it’s what you don’t see, hear or smell that makes the difference and what will help to improve the local environment.
A CNG vehicle:
- Produces 20% less CO2 than a vehicle that is powered by traditional fossil based fuels
- Reduces local air pollution
- Is quieter than a normal collection vehicle
- Gives out less odour than a traditional diesel engine
- Can travel just over 300 miles on a full tank
- Working conditions are improved for our collections teams - they will benefit from reduced odours and less vibration
- CNG will have more stable energy prices as it is not so reliant on oil
CNG is a clear odourless gas. For safety reasons, so as to detect the smallest of leaks, there is a substance added that results in a smell a bit like rotten eggs. If there was an accident with the vehicle and CNG escaped, it floats away. All the vehicles have a rigid and extrenely strong tank protection frame fitted.
Veolia has initially installed a temporary LCNG (Liquid Compressed Natural Gas) gas station to allow them to fill up the vehicles before they go off on their rounds. The gas will be tankered in to Sheffield in a liquid form. Our infrastructure allows us to have more than one option of supply which means your bins will always get emptied.
Find out more about Sheffield City Council’s gas powered vehicles