Veolia Environmental Services South Downs Ltd.
In April 2003, East Sussex County Council and Brighton & Hove City Council awarded Veolia Environmental Services a 25 year contract for the delivery of an integrated waste management service. To provide the service Veolia Environmental Services formed the local company Veolia ES South Downs. Delivering the integrated waste management service requires the operation, development and construction of a network of strategically placed facilities, designed to increase recycling, composting and recovery and to reduce dependence on scarce local landfill.
Veolia Environmental Services in the United Kingdom
Veolia Environmental Services has been present in the United Kingdom since 1990. As the leading UK waste management organisation with 2011 revenues above £1.2 billion
, Veolia Environmental Services employs around 12,000
employees across the spectrum of services in waste management and cleaning.
Veolia Environmental Services is renowned for its integrated waste management and environmental services to local communities and industry. We provide a range of services including refuse collection, recycling, waste treatment and street cleansing to over 21 million customers from circa 100 Local Authorities in the UK.
We operate a network of landfill sites, materials recovery facilities, transfer stations, civic amenity sites, Energy Recovery facilities and compost sites.
- Operating since 1990.
- 2011 revenues above £1.2 billion.
- around 12,000 employees.
- Serves 65,000 commercial and industrial customers.
- circa 100 refuse collection, recycling, street cleansing and grounds maintenance contracts in partnership with circa 100 local authorities and waste disposal authorities.
- 12 landfills with a total void capacity of circa 41 million m3
- Total installed power generation of 1.3m MWh.
- 7 Energy Recovery facilities with a total capacity of 1.5 million tonnes.
- 8 composting facilities with a total tonnage of green waste processed of 162,299 tonnes per annum.
- Minosus, the first facility of its kind in the UK, provides safe underground storage within a worked out area of a rock salt mine for the permanent disposal of a range of solid and granular hazardous wastes.
Veolia Environmental Services worldwide
Veolia Environmental Services is one of the world's leading providers of waste management and cleaning services.
Our activities include the collection, treatment and recycling of solid, liquid and hazardous waste in the municipal, industrial, marine and commercial markets. We serve more than 87 million people worldwide across 33 countries.
As part of our integrated approach to waste, we operate a number of technologically advanced solutions that are able to convert waste into a valuable energy resource that would otherwise result in the use of fossil fuels.
- 2011 sales: €9.7 billion.
- 807,000 industrial and tertiary sector customers.
- 87 million people served.
- 36.1 million of waste collected.
- 59.9 million of waste treated.
- 331,000 employees.
- Active in 77 countries.